Saturday, April 14, 2012

Life's Blood


I am a true believer in donating blood. I know a lot of people would rather give money than have a vampire nurse steal blood from them but let's face it... Blood is far more precious than money.

I thought I might give a rundown of my recent experience for anyone a little wary of the process.

I waited for 15 minutes with a juice box to keep my fluids up, and then I was interviewed to make sure it was safe for me to give blood. This was the scariest part... And not because they pricked my finger to check my iron levels, but because they weighed me and I was shocked to discover I was 7kgs heaver than my usual 50kgs!!! After that, I was hanging to give blood, hoping the loss would leave me at only 56kgs!!!

Then I sat on a lovely recliner where the nurse wrapped a blanket around me (coz I'm a sook and it was chilly) and ran me through the procedure:
1. A band is placed around your bicep (like when they check your blood pressure) to make your vein more accessible.
2. An alcohol swab cleaned your inner elbow.
3. A small needle is inserted and you feel a tiny prick.
4. You have a little kip, wriggling your fingers and toes to speed up the process.

Voila... 6 minutes and 17 seconds later I was done!

Basically I got a juice box, had a nap, ate a lollie and got a sticker... Batman has it all wrong, this is the best way to save lives!!!

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, this is like my story but I did it a month later! Totes discovered I was 56kg! Gained 4kg in a year... OOPS! Can't believe you did it in less than 7 minutes. I was so proud at doing it under 11min haha.

    And YAY for free food afterwards!

    ReplyDelete